Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 2004 08:54:02 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I have a dream, of a help/manual/doc system, which is simple to use?

Niel,

To be honest with you I find the man pages easier to decipher
than your message. While I used to feel the same as you do,
there is no substitute for experience, and you only get that one
way. By doing it. A good book for newbies is FreeBSD an Open
Source Operating System for your Personal Computer. Has some
good examples. And if you actually go through the Handbook it
has several step by step how tos. Tells you what to do and where
to do it.

I have found FreeBSD as easy to install and in ways easier to
setup than Windows. Of course I have only done one Windows
install and found it so frustrating that I scraped it and used
the entire disk for FreeBSD. I don't mean to be discouraging
because I would love to see more people using FreeBSD, but in a
way I guess I'm lucky to have started using computers back in
the DOS era. Though I never actually used DOS, was running OS9
on a 6809 machine. But it was just an excepted fact that if you
were going to be using a computer you were going to have to read
the manuals, and learn what they were talking about.

Ok now that I have that out of my system, besides the book
already mentioned, you may want to pickup the book, Linux in
plain English. Don't let the title put you off, while there a
some Linux specific things in it, for the most part it covers
basic UNIX commands and utilities. Doesn't give a lot of
examples but does tell you what they do. Also include some of
the more common apps found on U*ix. And use the Handbook, it's
probably the best FreeBSD resource out there right now. If you
have a question, chances are it's covered in there.

--
 Lute

*   Power Provided     *
*         by           *