Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 20:09:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD bugs list)
Subject:   Re: List of open Problem Reports

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >> How is it supposed work when there are only 4 vtys with gettys on them
> >> all?  It worked like I expected for this setup with an old version of
> >> XFree, the SVGA server and an ET4000 - `m' didn't exist and Alt-Fn
> >> restored the X screen.

Btw, i never understood what it's good for to have the X server run on
an otherwise unused vty.  It's SysVish however, and we all use the
SysV VT model for our X server.  Perhaps in SysV, it wouldn't even
work on the same VT, i'm not sure.

> >Er, if you have 4 vty's, (Alt-F1->Alt-F4), all with gettys, then you
> >_should_ be able to get the X session back on vty04 (Alt-F5). If not, then
> >the bug still exists for you. Remember 2 things; 1- the number of virtual
>
> I just hit Alt-F4 and it worked.  I didn't even think of trying Alt-F5
> at the time, and don't have that configuration any more to try it.

I think this has been a bug in the X server implementation in one
earlier XFree86 version.  I remember such complaints in the xfree-beta
list.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/