Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:06:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Dempsey <chrisdempsey@yahoo.com>
To:        Dave <dloose@WPI.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GeForce2 GTS and XFree 4.0.1

Dave,

I have been able to get the GeForce GTS chipset to
work under X.  You do have to get the latest cvsup
updates.  I have copied the recipe from the email that
helped me out.  Make sure to run this as root, then
run startx as a regular user, so you don't introduce
security issues and clutter your root partition.

This is also probably a question for
freebsd-questions, not so much for -newbies.  You
might get a quicker response with this type of
question by posting there.

BEGIN QUOTE:

I used the FreeBSD port system.  Here are the steps
that worked.

	cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
	make patch

I then copied these files from the XFree86.org anoncvs
repository to the same directories under
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/work/

xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86PciInfo.h
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_driver.c
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_include.h
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_local.h
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_type.h
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/riva_tbl.h
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/nv/nv_xaa.c

Edit nv_include.h and remove the line   #include
"vbe.h"  .
Finish with

cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4
make install
XFree86 -configure

--- Dave <dloose@WPI.EDU> wrote:
> Ok, first I just want to thank everyone who helped
> me out with that port
> problem.
>
> My next problem is that I can't get my GeForce2 to
> work under
> XWindows.  I've heard that the CVS versions of
> XFree86 _do_ support the
> card, so I followed some instructions I found online
> that told me to
> replace some files and modify others and then
> recompile.
>
> Now, when I run startx, I get this:
>
> --------------------------
> Symbol miSetPixmapDepths from module
> /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nv_drv.o is
> unresolved!
>    This should not happen!
>    An unresolved function was called!
>
> Fatal server error:
>

> When reporting a problem...
> --------------------------
>
> I've skipped a lot of the log so I hope I didn't
> miss anything
> important.  Anyway, that is where I think the
> problem is.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of
> the message

=====
Christopher P Dempsey