Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:34:03 -0800
From:      Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>
To:        Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange graphics issues on G5 with NVIDIA 6600

On Mon, Jan 11, 2021 at 3:54 PM Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, ppc works remarkably well with FreeBSD.  If we just had Firefox
> and Thunderbird, I could actually use my iMac G5 for my daily work routine.
>
> The nv driver is deprecated and gets very little attention these days.
> You might be better off swapping in a Radeon card.  Not sure which one
> would work well with ppc.  The one in my PowerMac G5 only seems to
> support 640x480 under FreeBSD 12.1.

I recall having a Radeon 9600 XT before (that's what my eBay history shows)
and working reasonably well. Unfortunately, I now noticed that this other
G5 model I have only takes PCI-X and there don't seem to be any ATI cards
for it! At least not that I can find. Do they have different firmware, or
was it just a labeling issue and any card will work?

--
jmmv.dev