Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:04:53 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@gorean.org>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mergemaster should be merged in to the main tree.

Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> This utility is too valuable for all the update not to at least have a
> mention of it.

	Thank you. :) The occasional compliment makes the hard work worthwhile.

> At the very least, references should be made to it in /usr/src/Makefile as
> part of the conversion process, and inthe /usr/src/UPDATING file.

	I wouldn't object to it being publicized more than it is.. I don't have
a /usr/src/UPDATING file though, is that something new in 3.x?

> I would be willing to get permission from the author if people think it's
> a good idea.

	*Wave*  I don't think putting it in the base is really feasible, since
the chances of me getting commit privileges to do that are very small.
:) Besides, I would much rather see the installation routine modified to
include various things from the ports/packages tree rather than
continuing to add (arguably) non-critical things to the base. There are
a lot of people who install FreeBSD who don't upgrade very often, and to
them something like mergemaster would be bloat.

	What I'd like to see is a section of sysinstall that asks what the user
is going to do with freebsd, and suggests some packages to install.
E.g., "Are you planning to upgrade your system on a regular basis?" Ok,
here's some things you should install, like cvsup, mergemaster, etc.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

     Like desperadoes waiting for a train . . .