Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:22:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com, vanessa.voysey@k2c.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ELF -current Screen Saver Issues ?

> Consider that the goal of a screensaver is to spread the displayed image
> over as much of the screen area as possible, levelling the wear on the
> phosphor (both colour and monochrome) while maintaining some beam
> current.

That'd work great, if you had a record of what was on the screen so that
you didn't burn the same pixels that were burnt before (ie: average
burn on all pixels was equal).

Seems that it'd cause the thing to wear out all at once, instead of
becoming marginally usable before becoming useless, so it'd wear out
faster...

> It's important to keep the beam current up in some applications as it
> improves regulation and extends the life of the power supply.

This I'll agree with... though it seems more applicable to the old
high-res screens, before the scan rate went up.  For this, it'd seem
the best thing, without a running total of relative on-time-per-pixel,
would be to burn as few pixels as possible (ie: no snake, no life
program, no "bouncing chuck").

> With
> most modern monitors, you're better doing the 'green' thing and telling
> it to turn off, of course.

I agree with this too...

It just annoys me that they aren't called "screen toys" instead of
"screen savers", since the software rarely does the work necessary
to actually prolong the useful life of a monitor subject to burn-in,
unless it does something like a single pixel scan over the screen
(starting at a random location to avoid cooking the upper screen
before the bottom, of course).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---