Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 13:24:05 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
To:        Tomas Klockar <dateck@ludd.luth.se>
Cc:        john@zyqad.co.uk (John Richards), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hitachi ATAPI CD-ROM + big disks

>> I have just got a Hitachi ATAPI CD-rom - on trial - if it doesn't work I can
[...]

>My experience is that you need the CD-ROM as master. on the secondary
>controller I have a Mitsumi and my freebsd just finds it if I have it
>as master.  I don't know why. I haven't had a look at the code.

I know why: because IDE sucks.  It's a hackish, nightmarish
abomination.  As can be illustrated by the problems being discussed
here.  I have heard of this same behavior (some drive needs to be
master or won't work) under many different OSs -- it's probably not a
FreeBSD-specific problem.

Sorry, I know that's not very helpful, but it's Yet Another Reason to
buy SCSI, if there is any way you can.

If you're stuck with IDE, I'm not telling you to throw it away unless
you can afford to replace it all.  I'm just sending my sympathies...

   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.