Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:10:18 -0700
From:      Shannon Wheeler <swheeler@mcmurraycomputer.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   public dynamic to private fixed address router...

I've got a bit of a weird problem...

(there are 8 sales reps for now)

Customer's head office (HO) requires each sales rep to connect to HO through a VPN. HO will only accept one VPN from any given IP address. Therefore each sales rep needs their own IP address (You can't put several behind a NAT (simple cable modem home router)).

HO also requires each sales rep to be NATed/firewalled. I have a Netopia R910 router that can do this with 8 static public IP addresses - map them 1 to 1.

The static IP addresses will cost over $450.00/month (TelCo) whereas I can get 8 dynamic addresses for $100/month (DHCP assigned) (Cable modem).

So, I want to map the 8 private addresses to 8 public, dynamic addresses. A device like the R910 only has one external MAC address so it can only grab one dynamic address. I would like to build a basic FBSD box to do this. So I need a network card that has 4 to 8 MAC addresses so that it can grab 8 DHCP assigned addresses and then I want to map them to the 8 internal addresses.

Any suggestions for appropriate cards?
How about BSD configuration (I think I'll be able to figure this out but hints will still be appreciated)?

A NIC with 8 MAC addresses available on one physical port would be great cause otherwise I'd have to take the multiple ports into a hub to connect to the cable modem (or DSL if we end up going that way).

thank you,
Shannon