Date:      09 Jul 1999 10:33:10 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        vallo@matti.ee
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to actually link with GLX library?

Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee> writes:

> Got it working, compiled the XFree distribution from ports then recompiled
> Mesa and GLX and voila! Now what bugs me is that I have 21" monitor and
> 1024x768 at 16bpp isn't very wonderful.. but rendering is very slow at
> 1600x1200 at 32bpp. Does the additional memory help? I can spend some
> money for another 8MB if it helps really. Does anybody have real
> experience in this case?

I haven't tried with more memory, but the slow performance of
1600x1200 at 32bpp is certainly caused by the lack of memory.  As long
as you aren't limited by pixel bandwidth, 32-bit rendering should be
faster than 16-bit rendering (no dithering required).

In some cases, slow performance could be caused by bus saturation by
the display fetch on cards with SDRAM (s.a. the PCI version of
Millennium G200), but I don't believe this is the case with these
cards (judging from the slight visible noise caused by large blits at
1600x1200 32bpp on my PCI G200 card, display fetch does not have a
higher priority on the bus than graphics ops).

However, buying more memory might not help automatically.  IIRC,
XFree86 does not automatically detect more memory than 8MB (you should
be able to fix this in the configuration, though), and the GLX driver
developers have not tested with more than 8MB (obviously if it didn't
work that would be a bug and could be fixed).