Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:35:48 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Serge Negodyuck <petr@petrovich.net>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD hangs running some linux apps.

Hello,

I have troubles running some linux apps under FreeBSD.

The box is Athlon-750/256 MB RAM. FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE, cvsupped  16 Oct.
Kernel compiled with option COMPAT_LINUX, and "linux_enable" is set in
/etc/rc.conf.

There such applicatios:
Linux Netscape 4.78 - works fine.

Vmware 2.0.4.1142. running win98 as guest os.
Guest os starts, and works sometime. It can work  a long time if I do not use vmware.
But when I try to run some "huge" apps inside vmware - such as openning
many windows of IE for example host OS (FreeBSD) hangs. Kernel is compiled
with DDB, but I cannot see it. May be DDB is avaible from serial conslole
if I will attach it. But I did't try serial conslole yet.

Demo version of Linux game "Heroes of Might and magic". (http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=39800http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=39800)
This game just make my FreeBSD hangs in the same manner as vmware. 80%
my box hangs at once after starting this game. Sometimes I can see some
animation, but after that computer hangs.

I think, hardware is OK. Running make -j 16 buildworld works fine.

The most interesting, I have another box - Cyrix233/80MB RAM. With
almost similar kernel config file. And cvsupped the same date.
Vmware and "Heroes of Might and magic" works fine during an hour. But too
slow :)

P.S. I've found a message, where are almost the same trouble.
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2506+4846+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-emulation/20001210.freebsd-emulation