Date:      Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:31:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        ee123@rocketmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a new network driver to an old kernel?

In a previous message, Eric D'HEM said:
> Hello,
>
> I need to add a 100MB ethernet card on my computer
> with a BSD 2.1.5 and it is not possible for the moment
> to change version.
> The problem is that actually, it is no more possible to find
> compatible card.
>
> Do someone know where I can get list of drivers,
> and how install it on the 2.1.5 distrib?
>
> Many many Thanks...

I'm pretty sure I used the Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B on
2.1.5 (wow, that's really old). Of course, they've probably
changed chipsets on it and it wouldn't work, now.

You might be able to take the driver from a newer version
and put it into your 2.1.5 kernel.

And I know you said it's not currently possible, but you'd
better start working to make it possible to upgrade.

Paul.