Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 1998 09:52:09 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FFS questions

> Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
> > Thanks, but I've already proven my manhood by lugging an RA81 (in a 4"
> > cabinet) upstairs myself; I don't need to do it again.  Actually, come
> > to think of it, aren't surviving storage options for those systems
> > getting a bit thin on the ground?
>
> Hmmm... is that the 600 MB 8.5 ms average seek disk they sold with the
> MicroVAX?

They were the high-end disk for the Vax range for a while, yes.  I don't
think they were that fast though (try more like 30-40ms).  The Fujitsu
Super Eagle was another popular storage solution in that size range, and
there were some smaller (515MB, lighter) CDC disks as well.

> Some friends of mine recently acquired a 16 year old
> MicroVAX in working order (except for one disk with a dead PSU) with
> two RA81 disks. They (four people) had to remove the disks to even be
> able to lift the MicroVAX (using straps) and IIRC none of them could
> carry a disk by himself either.

I guess Norwegians just aren't as bloodyminded as Australians then. 8)

Carrying a microvax is pretty straightforward, unless you've left it in
the cabinet at which point it becomes kinda unwieldy.  There were 9 of
them in a house I was sharing a while back, so I did get to move a few
around...

> The problem they face now is cooling. Even with one disk out the heat
> this thing generates is unbearable (we're talking high-eighties-
> low-nineties room temperature)

Just like the server room where the FreeBSD cluster lives.