Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 19:58:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD driver for Teletronics cards (fwd)

Reposted with authors permission.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 23:46:43 -0700
From: Lonnie Nunweiler <nowires@valemount.com>
To: "isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com" <isp-wireless@isp-wireless.com>
Subject: FreeBSD driver for Teletronics cards

I'm trying to judge interest in a driver for FreeBSD and the Teletronics
PCMCIA cards.  Beta should be available next week.

Early results show almost astounding performance.  We are learning, for sure.

 From a Linux FTP server we have measured 192K bytes download through a
single Teletronics Access Point.  From an NT 4 FTP Server the rate is 155K
bytes.  The Linux driver gave us 160K bytes with the same configuration
from the Linux or NT servers.  Windows 98 driver gives 150K bytes from same
spot, either server.

We pretty much gave up on the Linux driver for dual cpu but the FreeBSD
driver already is stable.  One neat thing is that we have had only ONE
system killing crash.  That occurred when we tried 2 PCMCIA adapters and
plugged in a card to each.  The first card was just fine, but boom when the
second was inserted.  Needs work.  Any BSD heads who know how to run 2
PCMCIA adapters?

Anyway, the driver will be released late next week, for 3.4 kernel.

Hope it helps a few people.

Lonnie Nunweiler
Webworld Warehouse Ltd.
(250) 566-4698

www.webworldwarehouse.com
www.valemount.com
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"