Date:      Sat, 21 Sep 2002 12:44:52 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Adam Turoff <ziggy@panix.com>
Cc:        Julian Stacey <jhs@berklix.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cheaper conferences Not in commercial hotels would help BSD.

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 01:21:09PM -0400, Adam Turoff wrote:
> The EuroBSD Con last September was somewhat similar, but held in a
> hotel IIRC for various reasons.  (Nik?  Care to comment?)

[ Note that apart from planning to attend, I have no involvement with
  this years EuroBSDCon ]

Travel and timing, predominantly.  For putting on a conference, you need
a venue that people can get to, is reasonably priced, and has sufficient
easy-to-reach accommodation.

For people coming in to the UK from Europe, you either arrive at one of
the south coast ports, or Heathrow, Gatwick, or Luton airports.

Universities were out of the running because we were doing the
conference in November, which is right in the middle of the semester.
If we were doing a conference in the Summer or early Autumn then
universities would have been perfect.  But we weren't, so it's either=20
hotels, or dedicated conference facilities.

Hotels and conference facilities near airports cost a *fortune* (at
least, they do in the UK).  I personally spoke to the events liason=20
people at the hotels near Heathrow, Gatwick, and Luton, and the costs=20
were astronomical.

Public transport in the UK isn't that great, so we needed to find
somewhere that was easy to get to from the air and sea ports.  Brighton
fit that description, as it has pretty good train links.  Brighton had
the added benefit that I knew the town reasonably well, and Joe lives
there, so if there were any issues that needed to be resolved we didn't
need to traipse halfway across the country.

The other place we seriously looked at was Cardif -- Paul knows it like
the back of his hand, and it had some great venues available at a
reasonable price.  But traveling to Cardif from the rest of the UK (and
the ports) takes a long time, and is costly.  And Cardif's airport
didn't have flights to/from most of the Continent.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99

--5vNYLRcllDrimb99--