Date:      Thu, 17 May 2007 11:19:03 +0200
From:      David Touitou <david@solexine.fr>
To:        Tom Judge <tom@tomjudge.com>
Cc:        lydianconcepts@gmail.com, freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Randy Schultz <schulra@earlham.edu>
Subject:   Re: possible issues with Dell/Perc5 raid

Hello all,

Tom Judge a écrit :
>  From the boot messages you have included below it seems that you have a
> Dell SAS-5i (Internal PCIe) controller and not a Perc/5[ie].
>
> The SAS-5 known to have very poor performance (1Mb/s 100%busy) under
> certain loads (cvsup).

I have something that looks like the same kind of problem, on a PE860
with SAS-5i and two SATA 160GB HD in RAID 1.

The server is a webserver and "top -S" shows very high CPU usage (idle is
0%, user CPU is 40%, system CPU is 60%, interupt is 0%) when running 60
concurents httpd threads...

I've browsed quite a bit arround this issue and ended in this thread
(plus several other threads arround the same problem).

I've just realised Dell has released a new firmware on 17 of april
(beware of long URL) :
http://support.euro.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=fr&cs=RC1077983&l=fr&s=pad&releaseid=R149732&formatcnt=6&libid=0&fileid=199166

Has anyone tried it ?

Best,