Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:30:48 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipf logging

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 14:17 -0300, Fernando Gleiser wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Craig Cowen wrote:
>
> > I am not clear on how to log ipf.
> > I believe I need to edit my syslog.conf.
>
> Yes and no. ipmon (ipf's logging process) can log via syslog or
> directly to a file.
>
> If you want to log to a file:
> # ipmon <path to log file> &

Don't forget to edit in the /etc/newsyslog.conf entry for this
case like this one:

   /var/log/ipflog  600 10 100 * Z /var/run/ipmon.pid

> If you want to use syslog:
> # ipmon -s &
>
> and you have to add a line like this to syslog.conf:
> local0.*                                        /var/log/ipf.log

shameless plug:

See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20202 for a way to
employ ipf in FreeBSD 4 and above.  Although the newsyslog.conf
thingy is not in there.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net