Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 20:16:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      sos@freebsd.org
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, hackers@freebsd.org, sos@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compat issue(s)

> I still don't agree with Soren:
>
> > ... ELF is
> > only supposed to handle ONE os type per platform, what we are doing
> > is blasfemy (ie not running SVR4).

[stuff deleted]

> The Note section idea also doesn't solve the entire problem.  We could
> mark our own FreeBSD ELF files with Note sections, so we could recognize
> them.  But unless we could persuade the Linux people to do likewise, we'd
> still be unable to distinguish between Linux ELF files and SVR4 ELF files.
> This is going to be a problem no matter what we do, though.

So, you agree with me after all :)
Its not even enough to distinguish between Linux/FreeBSD (which we could
with note sections) and the rest, we will eventually have to be able to
tell Solaris/DGUX/Olivetti-SVR4/NCR-SVR4/whatnot from each other too,
or we will be in hell anyway. I know for a fact that if we are going
to do SVR4 emulation we will NEED a way to tell them apart. So having
a nice little util that marks the ELF header in ways for us to know
is the ONLY solution to this problem, like it or not.
I propose that we use some unused space in the ELF header. The ELF header
starts with a 16byte char field, where only the first 8 are used in
all the ELF/i386 incarnations I've seen, so we can put a 8 char
text here for the platform (that can easily be seen with the file(1)
cmd too). Simple, easy, nice hack, works....

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..