Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:11:26 -0700
From:      bmah@cisco.com (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@pike.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmintr: out of sync (0080 != 0000). ARGH!

--==_Exmh_-1932041606P

If memory serves me right, John Baldwin wrote:
> Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[snip]

> > Now I've switched over to a single-CPU box running RELENG_4 and this
> > problem is, indeed, very much there.  It's a really _bad_ problem
> > given that the mouse goes absolutely nuts during these intervals
> > and you *will* have bogus contents selected and pasted into your
> > xterms at random intervals.  Depending on what was cut and pasted,
> > the results could be pretty nasty.

[snip]

> FWIW, I have almost _never_ seen this.  The only time I ever get this is
> if I am moving the mouse when I hit the console switch on my 4-port console
> switch, but it corrects itself almost instantaneously.

My experience is more like John's.  I run moused and XFree86 3.3.6 on
several different RELENG_4 boxes and I almost never see this problem,
except very rarely if I'm twiddling around with my KVM switch.  It
seems to go away by itself pretty quickly.

If it's significant, my two main workstations use Asus P2B and P3B
motherboards with a LogiTech Trackman Marble and some other random
Logitech mouse, respectively.  The P2B doesn't have anything relevent in
/var/log/messages*, and the P3B logged two occurrences in six weeks.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-1932041606P

--==_Exmh_-1932041606P--