Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 20:13:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATT Unix for Windows !

> As Peter Korsten wrote:
>
> > The fact that I like windows, mice, pop-ups, buttons and the like
> > perhaps lies in my Amiga background.
>
> Since the advent of useable graphics adapters, i like windows much
> myself.  I couldn't imagine the daily Unix work without X11 anymore,
> and i'm fighting hacky approaches like `svgalib' (in particular, those
> people who think that they need to use it) for these reasons: why the
> h*ck do they wanna force me to turn X11 off for their lousy
> application?
>
> >  I find the
> > flexibility that Unix offers with it's pretty free-format confi-
> > guration files rather a disadvantage.
>
> Well, and that's the difference.  Once you know the very basics of
> each, you also start to value the flexibility.  I could also say i
> hate LISP since writing my applix-mode.el took me three or four hours,
> and i had to lookup almost every LISP primitive in the manual!? :-)
> But then, which language can you really learn within three or four
> hours?  It was possible, it didn't make me a LISP wizard, but it
> offered me the ability to get done what i wanted to get done (a
> certain form of formatting required for an ApplixWord document, mostly
> the line breaks in a fairly strict and backslashified form as Applix
> did expect them).  I don't believe any MS-Win editor (not counting a
> Windows port of Emacs, of course :) would have allowed me to get this
> done at all, simply since their developers didn't take into account
> that someone else might have such a weird request at some time.

Eh - you could do that in LISP or C[1] in BRIEF[3], in Lisp in Epsilon,
in C[2] in CodeWright, and in some other editor extension languages.
Emacs isn't the only editor written as an extension langauge with a
default setup anymore.  It still has a powerful set of macros already
written; but it is possible in many other editors.

[1] "C" - this is their LISP hacked up in C-syntax.  A bad idea IMHO,
    but at some point the LISP/C balance tipped.
[2] Normal C - DLLs with an API to extend the editor.  Usually more
    work than with a dedicated extension language, but extremely
    flexible - you can do absolutely anything with the editor.
[3] I don't know if BRIEF has been ported to Windows yet, or has been
    left to rot in DOS.  Extremely nice, though - works with
    multi-gigabytes files easily, as opposed to Emacs.  Lacks a good
    set of modes and colours, though.

Eivind.