Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:36:23 -0500
From:      Paul Procacci <pprocacci@datapipe.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org" <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [Linux.ko] VIDIOCGCAP

On 06/04/10 02:05, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Paul Procacci<pprocacci@datapipe.com>  (from Fri, 4 Jun 2010
> 00:40:00 -0500):
>

>> Gents,
>>
>> I'm running into a problem with getting video working on skype.  I am so
>> close, and I feel it's just one little thing left before it works.
>>
>> I've installed webcamd and skype from ports without problems.  Loaded
>> the necessary modules, got the webcam working with other utilities, but
>> skype (ah, good ole skype) is refusing to acknowledge the existence of
>> /dev/video0.
>>
> It should work on a recent -current (if your cam is supported by
> webcamd). If you are on -stable, you either have to move to -current,
> or you need to wait a while (I didn't had the time to merge this into
> 8-stable before the feature freeze, so I have to wait until 8.1 is out
> to be able to put this functionality into 8-stable).
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for getting back to me quickly.  Would have been quicker but the
upgrade to -CURRENT had a couple of library bumps and I needed to
recompile X.

Anyways, now that I'm on -CURRENT, and have recompiled the necessary
drivers, I can now see the device in skype and I'm not longer presented
with the error message I provided.  This is great!

I however have come across a new problem actually related to webcamd I
believe.  Whenever I try to access the /dev/video0 device whether it's
via /dev/video0 or /usr/compat/linux/dev/video0, webcamd is now being a
resource hog and furthermore, takes a very long time to do anything.

For example:

8816 root          6  44  r0F 32512K  3812K CPU2    0   3:32 200.00% webcam=

Webcamd is just acting strangely at this point.  The good new is that
multimedia/pwcview works, but has the symptoms described above of taking
forever to start.  Skype however, is still borked.

I assume this now needs to go back to the webcamd author to have a gander.

Thoughts?

Thanks Again,
Paul

This message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you ar=
e not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this =
message.  See http://www.datapipe.com/about-us-legal-email-disclaimer.htm f=
or further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure elect=
ronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by =
reply message and we will send the contents to you.