Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:12:14 +1100
From:      Mattia Rossi <mrossi@swin.edu.au>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>
Cc:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8 as an IPv6 router

On 14/12/11 04:07, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Hi,

> doconnor>  On 13/12/2011, at 19:54, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
>> doconnor>  Is there a way to tweak it to do the right thing?
>>
>> Perhaps, sla-len should be 8.
>
> doconnor>  Ahh many thanks, that seems work work.
>
> You are welcome.
>
> doconnor>  Such are the risk when you copy things off the internet :)
>
> Yes, the sla-len depends on the prefixlen of the delegated prefix, and
> the length depends on your ISP.
> The DHCPv6 server announces the prefixlen, and the dhcp6c can know it.
> However, the dhcp6c doesn't assume that the prefixlen of the
> prefix-interface is 64.  So, you still need to specify an appropriate
> sla-len value.  It seems inconvenient to me.  So, I applied the
> attached patch to calculate the sla-len automatically with the
> assumption that the prefix-interface is 64, personally.

Ok, this is something I always get a bit confused with. I understand
that it's the right clean thing to set up a /64 on the interface which
sends router advertisements, but I also would expect by nature, that
whatever prefixlength you chose on the interface, rtadvd would simply
grab the lowest /64 prefix out of the configured one to send router
advertisements out.

The idea there is, that you might use this router for multiple subnets,
and have a single default route.

Now of course to do that you'd need to configure rtadvd.conf, so I guess
the whole thing missing here is a bit of documentation which says, that
if you don't configure rtadvd via rtadvd.conf you're not allowed to be
lazy and configure any prefix on the interface and expect rtadvd to do
the right thing.

It seems to me, that a lot of people (including me) would expect that,
so maybe some info about that wouldn't be to bad.

Just my 2c.

Mat