Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:00:01 -0700
From:      "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
To:        "Studded" <Studded@san.rr.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   back to the start (WAS Re: mounting floppy file systems)

Doug,

It all helps!

You are right, this thread has turned into more of a Q&A than what the
"intended" use for the list is supposed to be.  It started because I spent a
considerable amount of time trying to figure out why I could not get the
floppy to mount as /A.  I had ended up doing quite a bit of searching before
using

# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

At this point, I thought that I had done the correct thing, (learn, learn,
learn) and so put out an email that basically said something like:

 "hey, this command does not work in the book.  I had to use /mnt instead of
/A as the book recommended.  Did I goof and miss something earlier in the
book, or is this something that should be brought to the attention of Greg
for an Errata."

The point of the original post was not to ask why /A did not work ( I
thought I could figure that out later ), but to figure out if that section
of the book could be tweaked a little for newbies that did not fully
understand everything that was happening on pg 211.  I wanted fellow newbie
opinions before I got slapped by someone for missing something earlier in
the docs.

In the process, the list ended up answering why /A did not work, thus seting
up the runnning thread on mount vs mtools and all the other fun stuff.

To finish my part of it, I'll say this.  I am still looking for input from
newbies concerning that particular section of the docs.  If after reading
this thread, no one thinks it's an issue, I'll crawl back into my cave and
hunker back down for a while.  If however, other folks were having trouble
with it ( to include pg 211 -214 ) I think it would be nice to put together
something that Greg can take a look at and consider putting into the Errata
and maybe the next book.

Specifically:

Address why /A may not work.  Again, I now believe that this is a simple
concept that I MUST have glossed over, but would still like other opinions.

Possibly address why to use mtools vs mount.  It sounds simple, but it is
not addressed in that chapter ( it may be somewhere else), and as we have
seen by the responses, there is more than one way to skin a floppy.

Mike loves opinions.  Please send them.

Thanks again to everyone!

Mike
Michael P. Sale