Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:32:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: FreeBSD firewall questions

mountin.man@mixcom.com wrote:

>> At 06:21 PM 2/12/98 +1100, Daniel O'Callaghan wrote:
>> >And if the two computers are right next to each other, why not use coax?
>> >It seems to have gone out of fashion, somewhat, but it still works.
>>
>> Just one piece of coax in a collision domain drops the
>>   potential throughput, so unless the network is lightly loaded.
>>   Once I lost the last coax NIC things were _much_ better.
>>
>> I'd avoid coax like a traffic jam.
>>
>> It's out of fashion for a reason.

I know this is nitpicking, but, by "coax" I assume you mean
"thin ethernet", "thin-net", whatever.  Thick coax worked
just fine for me, much better than 10baseT when it first
came out, or trying to use 10baseT on older wiring.

A clean thick ethernet coax installation was no problem -
except that it is expensive/time-consuming to install,
and, worse, to modify.

However, 10baseT became very reliable about four years ago,
and, on a good cat-5 installation, is very nice, as everyone
knows.  I agree that thin-net should be avoided like the
plague.  I never had anything but trouble with it, even for
short distances.  I was surprised to see it still being promoted
for cheap home/small-office installations, as I observed in an
electronics store a few nights ago.  Especially now that you can
get inexpensive, small 10baseT hubs (but only for about the last
year or so has the price really come down) from several vendors.

Today, there is absolutely no reason to use anything other
than 10baseT (or 100baseT) on new installations.  Always use
level-5 wiring.  [And, I would recommend eliminating *all*
the thin-net coax from existing installations.]