Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 01:10:20 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        khansen@njcc.com, "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>, hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

eivind@yes.no said:
> I'd suspect the keyboard/montitor-less configuration is much more
> important in the set of people that contribute to FreeBSD than in the
> average case.  The question is if we want to lock out the people that
> _do_ contribute code.

> Eivind.

For a user friendly configuration tools  we can forget about experts.
Besides most of them are fully capable of deploying their own configuration
tools. Well, at least I was able to for one of my contracts 8)

We should start targetting newbies --- got a complaint from my ISP
that he was starting to see people moving away from NT and asked
about ease of FreeBSD . For evaluation purposes he has installed
linux and FreeBSD.

BTW: Now that the Java front is picking steam perhaps someone can
start thinking about using Java for system or user  configuration stuff.

The latest version of the jdk can be run without X .

	Amancio