Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 09:43:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEVFS, the time has come...

>From: Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:12:18 +0100 (CET)

>Yeagh... what is wrong with ed0, de0, fxp0 etc that needs changing? Is this
>just a matter of taste or is there more to it? I for one don't see any
>advantage in eth[0-9] style device naming.

It's a matter of whether you want the name to reflect the implementation
vs. the function.

For someone involved in the details of the implementation, being
(acutely!) aware of those details can be very important.

For someone who merely wants to have a certain physical port on the
machine connected to a particular network, that level of detail is not
always appropriate.

It depends on your focus.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621