Date:      Wed, 08 Jan 1997 14:05:02 +0000
From:      Simon Reading <aat81@dial.pipex.com>
To:        grog@lemis.de
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Support when getting DDS drives repaired

In comp.sys.hp.hardware "Stephen Whitlock" <swhitloc@easyway.net> wrote:
>	My experience with Hewlett Packard and the C1553A has been
>less than satisfactory.  My company had a C1553A for
>backing up its main server.  It stopped working after about
>13 months.  The problem seemed to be attributable to  the
>heads.  The backup loads were not unreasonable (never
>exceeding 3.5 hours a night, 5 days a week).  But it
>completely failed and left us without a backup.
>
>	The biggest problem came with trying to get the failed
>drive serviced.  I spent at least 12 hours over several
>days on the phone with HP trying to find some way to get it
>fixed, replaced, serviced, etc.  Finally, they informed me
>of the Express Exhange program which is where they ship you
>a refurbished drive.  Then you send in your broken one.  I
>was given a ship date from them of 3-5 days (as opposed to
>the advertised 24 hours).  After three weeks, I called
>again, and they said it was back ordered for at least
>another 7 days.  After a month from the original order
>date, they said that no refurbished drives would ship
>before a month.  (This is in addition to the month I had
>already waited!)

Greg

When you have had your drives repaired, did you have to send them back to
the manufacturer (HP or EXABYTE) or did you return the drive to your dealer
and he fixed it (replaced the heads etc)?

If you returned your drive to the manufacturer, what was their support like?

Is getting the heads repaired on a DDS drive expensive?

Cheers,

Simon

PS. That exabyte drive that was giving you problems, did you ever get it to
work with freebsd?