Date:      Wed, 13 Nov 1996 12:35:12 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
Cc:        jsuter@intrastar.net, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bang bang bang bang - lame lame lame lame

> I must confess that I have not been following the technology that
> closely, but I was wondering what the resolution is.

Standard PAL resolution - we're not talking HDTV here, simply a way of
playing movies from a CD on your TV (and CDs take up much less
space than VHS tape, are more robust, don't stretch or get eaten
by your neighbor's mutant Croatian VCR, etc etc etc.).

I think the thing that's really blocked this technology from taking
off in the home consumer market is the fact that most movies require
two CDs, and fat, lazy american consumers don't like having to get up
in the middle of the movie and swap CDs.  Now that the high density
CDs are coming in (Walnut Creek CDROM is getting some of the first
writers for them, in fact) this could change significantly and I could
easily see the entire "I Claudius" PBS special fitting onto a single
4GB CDROM. :-)

> The last I heard, most "real time MPEG" stuff worked at standard TV
> resolutions (or only mildly better) and was pricey as all heck.

Not pricey at all, actually.  You can buy MPEG decoder boards for
around $200 now, though be careful to avoid the "Real Magic" MPEG
video cards as they are complete and utter crap.  I was so disgusted
with mine, not to mention their deceptive advertising practices
(nowhere do they note that the card will work with *one* and only
*one* brand of CDROM - it takes a call to their tech support
department and several hours on hold to learn that tidbit), that I
simply threw mine in the trash.  Wish I'd saved it though - I'd have
taken it to the new rifle range I found which allows you to set up
your own types of targets just so long as you clean up after
yourself. :-)

Thankfully, there are other cards on the market now.

> Since computational time should be proportional to the resolution of the
> display, it should be much easier to do a 320 * 200 display (64000 pixels,
> and at 16 bit depth that's 128Kbytes of data) as opposed to a 1024 * 768
> display (786432 pixels, and at 24 bit depth that's 2.4Mbytes of data).

Well, PAL is somewhat higher than this and while the frame rate of my
CD-I is unknown, there's no perceivable flicker and I'm pretty
sensitive to video refresh rates below 25FPS.

					Jordan