Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:26:56 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dhclient too verbose in /var/log/messages

For the last year or so something changed in dhclient and/or my ISP
resulting in dhclient being way too chatty with syslog and flooding
/var/log/messages with this about every 75 minutes, when my DHCP lease
is renewed:

Nov 21 05:43:00 Frisket dhclient: New Network Number: 24.214.110.0
Nov 21 05:43:00 Frisket dhclient: New Broadcast Address: 24.214.110.255

I don't see any ready way to configure dhclient to mute this output.

Placing a sed filter in /etc/syslog.conf would be one way to stifle the
chattyness but that should be the avenue of last resort. How might I
convince dhclient to be quiet and/or log elsewhere?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net