Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 19:23:27 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: was: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0006262159420.318-100000@picnic.mat.net>,
Chuck Robey
 writes:
> On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Will Andrews wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 09:45:48PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > > I just don't like gratuitously adding in extra GPL when there's no
> > > absolutely required reason for it.
> >
> > In case you haven't noticed, we can also install LPRng using the
> > Artistic license, which is much nicer than GPV.
>
> I did, but I'm sorry, Artistic License != BSD License.  The Artistic
> license says you can only use it inside your own organization, freely, you
> can not sell it or use it inside a product (like you can BSD).
>
> I will admit that the Artistic License is *far* more acceptable than the
> GPL, but I just don't see the need to get this in.  I will immediately
> admit it's better software, but I can't see why we need it in the base
> system, when one of the side effects is losing a perfectly good BSD
> licensed lpd.

A suggestion I made, that only Patrick picked up on and which requires
repeating, was to create lpr/lpc/lpd applications that were of similar
structure to /usr/sbin/sendmail, which performed a table lookup, to
find the real application to be used.

The advantages would be that both lpr/lpd and LPRng, and by extension
sendmail and postfix, could be included in base and administrators
could use whichever application they wanted based upon functionality,
security, license preference, or any other criteria.  Even if only one
print application were in the base, it would make making the other the
default much easier.

Wouldn't this compromise or a form of this compromise satisfy most
everyone?

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC