Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 21:56:24 -0400
From:      Charlie Root <root@bellsouth.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, root@wghicks.bellsouth.net
Subject:   Re: bsd.lib.mk "@"'s

> Why are many of the build lines in bsd.lib.mk hidden with leading @'s,
> so that they don't display in the build?  This is useless, it hides
> things that go wrong, and hardly belongs here, it seems to me.

I like extreme verbosity too, but some don't  :-)

PMake is supposed to have a .SHELL: pseudo-target that allows one to specify
how to make shell commands "quiet".  If one could figure out how to use that,
it would be trivial to provide a knob for this.

I couldn't make .SHELL work though; consult /usr/src/usr.bin/make/job.c if
you're interested.  I'd like to know how to disable "quiet" commands too...

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
wghicks@bellsouth.net