Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:13:24 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Robert Hugh Force II <tiberius@yta.attmil.ne.jp>
Cc:        David De Silva <david@desilva.co.uk>, freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Web resources

On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 07:18:23PM +0900, Robert Hugh Force II wrote:
> David,
>
>     I asked the same question earlier this month.  My search for web sites
> that support/discuss Beowulfing with FreeBSD has been fruitless up to this
> point.

AFAIK, there are no pages on this; I suspect one of the reasons is
that "Beowulfing" isn't considered difficult enough to need a web
page.  It is just something you do if appropriate.

> http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel
> Internet Parallel Computing Archive - A complete reference site
> about everything that concerns parallel computing.

I'm not sure if this is in the reference collection - Jeroen, will you
add it if not?

> http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/Research/rapid_sweb/SWEB.html
> SWEB - Towards a Scalable World Wide Web Server on Multicomputers

This one is not in the reference collection, I'm pretty sure.

> Hopefully a site devoted to Beowulfing with FreeBSD will soon be
> available.

Do you want to make one?  Or a section for the main FreeBSD clustering
site?

> I am not sure why people don't seem to be using FreeBSD for this
> task.  It's superior networking capabilities would seem to lend it
> very well to such a task.

Actually, for a Beowulf-type cluster, I don't think FreeBSD's
networking capabilities matter that much - the kind of tasks that a
Beowulf is good at are computing focused, not network focused.  If
your Beowulf couldn't use wet string as its communications medium, I
would look carefully for a solution that isn't a Beowulf.

Eivind.