Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 16:09:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.0-RC3 problems with sysinstall!!

I decided to grab the iso of 4.0-RC3 and do some installation testing,
since problems have plagued the previous releases and I wanted to do
my part to make sure that doesn't happen with 4.0. :-)

Initial installation from the ISO went flawlessly.  My problems are
ocurring while using the post-install configure of sysinstall to add
some packages (Configure/Packages).  When attempting to install a
package via FTP using a HTTP proxy (Squid to be exact), I found two
problems.  One is a minor problem, and the other is rather large, but
they could be related.  The minor problem is that the dialog box
asking you for the address of the proxy server says the default port
is 3128, but when I leave the port out, it initially tries port 21
instead.  If I immediately select "Packages" again to make another
attempt, it then correctly tries 3128, but says it still can't
connect.

Now here's the big problem...  If I try selecting "Packages" a third
time, I get a coredump (signal 11) and the terminal is screwed.  No
keyboard input works except Ctrl-C, which gives me successive prompts
as if I were hitting the Enter key instead.  Going to another terminal
and killing csh on the offending terminal gives me a login prompt
back.  This is quite reproducible, since I've tried about 10 times
with the same result.  The only difference is that if I specify the
correct port the first time, I get an immediate coredump instead of an
error that it can't find the proxy server.  Interestingly enough,
after I run sysinstall a few times reproducing this, entering the
proxy server address _without_ the port results in an immediate
coredump as if I had entered the correct port the first time.  No
successive invocations of sysinstall show the initial behavior.
Logging out and back in or using a fresh terminal doesn't change
anything.  Rebooting the system causes it to show the initial behavior
again.  That is particularly weird, since I don't see any weird
environment variables or tempfiles laying around that would cause
sysinstall to "keep state" like that.  *boggle*

Just as a datapoint, here is what is showing up in the Squid proxy
logs each time I try this:

952812287.997 3 192.168.4.159 NONE/400 1100 GET / - NONE/- -

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )