Date:      Sat, 2 Mar 2002 14:45:32 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@mckusick.com>, Finch <dot@dotat.at>, fs@FreeBSD.ORG, fanf@chiark.greenend.org.uk
Subject:   Re: UFS panic on -stable

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 10:33:14PM +0000, Ian Dowse wrote:
> In message <20020302135914.A33051@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway writ=
es:
> >So much for the MFS theory:
> >
> >/x: bad dir ino 1006899 at offset 0: mangled entry
> >panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir
> >Debugger("panic")
> >Stopped at      Debugger+0x35:  movb    $0,in_Debugger.426
> >db>
> >
> >/x is a local UFS filesystem.
>=20
> Hmm. You said originally that the problem first appeared when the
> cluster was upgraded to 4.5. Was that 4.5-RELEASE or -STABLE? If
> it was -STABLE, the approximate date would help as we can ignore
> commits since then.

I believe it was 4.5-STABLE around Feb 10 - I sent the following
message on that date:

--
I restarted the bento build with the 4.x package set, after upgrading
the gohans to 4.5-STABLE (one of them had panicked with ffs_alloc: dup

Prior to this, I think they were running 4.4-STABLE as of about Nov
25, which was the last time I upgraded them.  I don't think I've seen
a recurrence of the dup alloc panic lately, so this might have been
fixed between November and January.

Combined with the alpha kernels running from around Jan 26 this seems
to narrow the range a fair bit.

Kris

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--