Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:25:07 +0100 (BST)
From:      William Palfreman <william@palfreman.com>
To:        Stefan Cars <stefan@snowfall.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.8 or 5.0 ?

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Stefan Cars wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We are installing some new servers in our company and I'm thinking of
> installing 5.0 on them. What do you people think ? Is that to be too
> brave ?

I did that once with Linux, between 2.2.19 and 2.4.2/3.  When my boss
realised what I had done I nearly got fired.  The experience has made me
morbidly afraid of doing other peoples beta testing for them in a
production environment, even if it seems fine in on my workstation and
on test servers.  I now give it about to 18 months before testing new
major versions.  Almost the only criteria I use is whether what I am
doing is so out of date that there is no longer a useful user base,
performance is worse and bugs are going unfixed.

Do you have any reason to believe 4.8 won't work?

Bill.