Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 01:38:05 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        Sean Chittenden <seanc@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updated sendfile(2)...

On 2003-03-10 15:19, Sean Chittenden <seanc@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> Small but important update for sendfile(2) to include a TUNING
> section.  This patch also updates tuning(7) to include a reference to
> sendfile(2)'s TUNING section.
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~seanc/patches/#sendfile_2_tuning

Seems ok.  Just a few minor details that I noticed are shown below:

: Index: share/man/man7/tuning.7
: ===================================================================
: RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/share/man/man7/tuning.7,v
: retrieving revision 1.59
: diff -u -r1.59 tuning.7
: --- share/man/man7/tuning.7	27 Dec 2002 12:15:34 -0000	1.59
: +++ share/man/man7/tuning.7	10 Mar 2003 23:12:28 -0000
: @@ -774,7 +774,11 @@
:  with
:  .Va kern.maxusers
:  so you should not need to modify this parameter except under extreme
: -circumstances.
: +circumstances.  See the
: +.Dq TUNING
: +section in the
: +.Xr sendfile 2
: +man page for details.

You should probably avoid starting a sentence on the same line as the
previous sentence here:

	+See the
	+.Dq TUNING
	+section in the
	+.Xr sendfile 2
	+man page for details.

This is a shorter diff and doesn't touch parts of the mdoc source that
don't need to be touched anyway :)

: --- lib/libc/sys/sendfile.2	19 Dec 2002 09:40:25 -0000	1.16
: +++ lib/libc/sys/sendfile.2	10 Mar 2003 23:12:28 -0000
: @@ -106,6 +106,41 @@
:  implementation of
:  .Fn sendfile
:  is "zero-copy", meaning that it has been optimized so that copying of the file data is avoided.
: +.Sh TUNING
: +Internally this system call uses a special
: +.Xr sendfile 2
: +buffer
: +.Pq Fa struct sf_buf

Quote this:

	.Pq Fa "struct sf_buf"

: +to handle sending file data to the client.  If the sending socket is
: +blocking and there are not enough sendfile buffers available,

Start sentences on new line.

: +If the sending socket is non-blocking and there are not enough
: +sendfile buffers available, the call will block and wait for the
: +necessary buffers to become available before finishing the call.
: +.Pp
: +The number of
: +.Fa sf_buf's

Not quite right.  This will mark up the 's part as Fa too.  You can
always write this as:

	.Fa sf_buf Ns s

or even, if you like the 's thing, like this:

	.Fa sf_buf Ns 's

: +allocated should be proportional to the number of nmbclusters used to
: +send data to a client via
: +.Xr sendfile 2 :
: +tune accordingly to avoid blocking!  Busy installations that make
: +tune accordingly to avoid blocking!  Busy installations that make
: +extensive use of
: +.Xr sendfile 2

"Tune accordingly..." is really a new sentence here.  Breaking the
lines at the end of the sentences, this can be written as:

    +allocated should be proportional to the number of nmbclusters used to
    +send data to a client via
    +.Xr sendfile 2.
    +Tune accordingly to avoid blocking!
    +Busy installations that make extensive use of
    +.Xr sendfile 2

: +kernel configuration tunable.  The number of sendfile buffers scales with

Break at end of sentence here too.

- Giorgos