Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:56:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Doug Jolley <doug@footech.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: qpopper

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Doug Jolley wrote:
> >/var/mail/.username
>
> Oh.  Thanks a batch.
>
> >What steps are you using when mounting drives in the scenario
> >that doesn't work?
>
> Not to paraphrase any politicians or anything; but, I'm really
> glad you asked me that question.  I was doing the change in
> mounting by changing the /etc/fstab file and re-booting.  That
> was beacause, much to my surprise, I found that I couldn't
> umount either the /var or /usr file systems (or both, I don't
> remember).  I would get a "device busy" error.  I usually
> associate that particular error with being logged into the
> filesystem that I'm trying to umount; but, I wasn't.  I was
> logged into the / filesystem.  What I wanted to do was to
> interactively umount the existing /var and /usr filesystems
> and then interactively mount the corresponding file systems
> from the primary drive.  I'd love to know why I couldn't
> umount those file systems.

syslogd, sendmail, anything else with a log file in /var/log
is potentially keeping /var busy.

If you are changing /etc/fstab on the primary drive to mount
/var and /usr from the secondary it should work fine, as long
as /var and /usr really are populated correctly on the secondary.
How'd you make the original image and which tool are you using
for the updates?

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, a California corporation        dan@dpcsys.com