Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 12:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/24662: too many questions about source management bloat freebsd lists

The following reply was made to PR docs/24662; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To: Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 21:16:01 +0200 (CEST)

 >   This looks pretty good but I'm not sure that all of this technical
 > information about CVSup is really required.  Do you really get that
 > many questions about them on the lists?

 Well, when I wrote the PR, I had answered a few such questions. :-)

 From what I have been reading over the past few months on the lists I am
 subcribed to, in particular on -questions & -stable, I don't think the
 situation has changed much. Even if the number of question seems to be smaller.

 Recently, I answered a message on (IIRC) -questions, suggesting the two-step
 cvsup procedure to correctly create the checkouts file for the src tree.
 Somebody thought I was a little green man from Mars, until Kris Kennaway made
 it clear I was right. :-) AAAARGH! Few people appear to read the archives...

 I seem to understand that most problems concern the ports tree rather than the
 main (/usr/src) tree.

 >  Is it really necessary to
 > perform all these steps?

 One has the choice: either use cvsupchk or synching "correctly". But even
 then, I'd like to have cvsupchk handy -- one never knows.

 <Using cvsupchk>

 1) IIRC (past messages on -questions), the cvsupchk script used to require a
 CVS repository in order to work, which no longer holds. A quick try confirms
 this.

 207 8:28pm /usr/ports/net/cvsup/work/cvsup-16.1/contrib/cvsupchk >====> env |
 grep -i cvs
 PWD=/usr/ports/net/cvsup/work/cvsup-16.1/contrib/cvsupchk
 # BTW, my CVS repository lives in /myjunk/home/ncvs.

 209 8:29pm /usr/ports/net/cvsup/work/cvsup-16.1/contrib/cvsupchk >====>
 ./cvsupchk -d /usr -c /usr/sup/src-all/checkouts.cvs:RELENG_4 | more
 EXTRA: /usr/src/release/sysinstall/anonFTP.o
 EXTRA: /usr/src/release/sysinstall/cdrom.o

 <snip>

 It goes without saying that a user should perform a "make extract" in
 /usr/ports/net/cvsup to get the cvsupchk python script.

 </Using cvsupchk>

 <Correct synchronization>

 In my text draft, I discussed three main uses: switching a source tree from
 tag A to B; moving it to a different date within the same tag; updating for
 the first time a source tree having tag=. (such as the ports tree).

 These are the most important cases, I think; these problems might even bite an
 experienced user. As to the position within the framework of the handbook, the
 material (or part thereof^Wof it :-) should probably be placed in Appendix A
 (Obtaining FreeBSD), eg in an "Advanced Use", "Advanced/Subtle Points", or
 "Caveats" section.

 More on this in the next few days.

 -- Salvo