Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2010 16:35:27 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Patrick Mahan <pmahan@adaranet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cannot build the Mips 32 bit kernel

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 16:37, Patrick Mahan <pmahan@adaranet.com> wrote:
> We build for mips o32 under 8.0 and our kernel (before we insert the
> rootfile system) is
>
> -rwxr-xr-x =A01 pmahan =A0pmahan =A038155521 Aug 24 19:22 kernel.octeon.3=
2

> Where when we build it off of head we are seeing
>
> -rwxr-xr-x =A01 pmahan =A0pmahan =A0243364423 Aug 26 09:45 kernel.octeon.=
32

> ~38 Mbytes versus ~243 Mbytes
>
> a 6x increase in size. =A0So I was playing around with the configuration
> file to decide what to leave out.

That must be either some difference in allocating space for the root
filesystem or related to having a lot of debugging info and not
stripping the one from HEAD.  The Cavium Simple Executive (I don't
know if the proprietary port you're using uses it or not) adds some
bloat, but nothing like that much.  My kernels, n64 and o32 both, are
around 8M.  I'm not embedding any sort of root filesystem.