Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:57:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Robert P. Ricci" <rricci@ns1.theonlynet.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Discovering the cause of crashes

Thank you all for your help regarding NIS and radius. Now, I have
another, more urgent problem. Our server is crashing (and
rebooting itself) frequently - some times as often as 3x in one day.
We're running 2.2-970215-GAMMA (We've had no luck installing later
versions, and this is the most stable kernel we've been able to build)
on a Cyrix P150 with 32 megs of ram. There are never any errors recorded
in /var/log/messages, just the reboot. No core dump is left behind,
either. Are any logs kept that I can use to figure out what processes
were running and which users were logged in at the time of the crash? Is
it worth it to take the machine down for a few hours and build a new
kernel? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

PS - One more thing: Once, a message appeared on the console at crash
time about an invalid page fault while in kernel mode. The current
process was #4 (update).

Frustrated, Robert Ricci
rricci@theonlynet.com