Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:20:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        archie@whistle.com (Archie Cobbs)
Cc:        mbendiks@eunet.no, terry@lambert.org, fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disable write caching with softupdates?

It seems Archie Cobbs wrote:
> > > Soren do you want me to try to come up with a patch?
> > > I don't claim to understand IDE technology.. can you
> > > just send the disable command at any time or is it
> > > more complicated than that?
> >
> > This will do it, or rather leave it as the disk default which
> > should be disabled...
>
> Thanks.. I was talking about a sysctl patch, where you could
> turn write caching on or off at any time while the system is
> running via sysctl. Is it even possible to do that?

Why on earth would you want this as a sysctl knob ?
Either you want to play it safe, or you dont care, this is not
something you change your mind about now and then....

I'm planning to make it a compile time option, the question
is what the default should be...

The _right_ solution of cause is to have the FS code pass down
a flag that says only write this when all preceeding bufs are
on the media, now _that_ would be nice and work for both ATA
and SCSI devices....

-Søren