Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:25:15 -0600
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd2008@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
Cc:        freebsd-eclipse@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Eclipse plugins ports?

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:19:28PM -0800, Greg Lewis wrote:

> I'm looking into a problem with one of the Eclipse plugin ports and I have
> to say that I wonder why we bother having plugin ports.  Eclipse has good
> built in plugin management tools, so the only reason I can see for having
> a port for one is if there is some code that needs changes (and the only
> one of those I see is eclipse-cdt).
>
> What are peoples thoughts on this?  Who feels they get a lot of value out
> of having FreeBSD ports for those plugins that we do have and why?

IIRC, in the original discussion we wanted to get rid of all eclipse
plugins as ports and use Eclipse's plugin management system.  However there
were some patches against some of these plugins.  My suggestion was to push
those patches upstream and remove the plugins from our ports.

As to the removal of old eclipse versions, I think it would be nice if we
could keep legacy ones around.  For example, I use 3.2.1 because of a
missing feature in later versions.  perhaps eclipse-32 for this port and
similar names for the others.  The most recent released eclipse should
always be eclipse and the snapshots should be eclipse-devel.  No one has
put the effort into making all these changes.

Also I think eclipse-* should be in devel instead of java (as its primary
location; it can remain in java as an auxiliary category), but that's
another story.

-- Rick C. Petty