Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2017 09:47:17 -0500
From:      "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To:        Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: default to concurrent

--EbW9baT5kEiXqNDSImDvADa3buKBPHq69
From: "John W. O'Brien" <john@saltant.com>
To: Nikolai Lifanov <lifanov@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-python@freebsd.org

--d6NIHS1s8JVTsKgpCgd5axWPssM4MNXdA

Hi Nikolai,

On 1/29/17 23:18, Nikolai Lifanov wrote:
> I think the biggest controversy is that binary names are suffixed, whic=
> may not be what upstream projects like and/or document.
> It may be confusing to users as well.
>=20
> If we can get rid of the suffix for PYTHON_CONCURRENT_INSTALL for
> whichever version is PYTHON_DEFAULT, it should be a net positive to
> treat it the same way we did USE_GCC in the past (enable
> PYTHON_NO_CONCURRENT or something and remove it on per-port basis once
> fixed).

The way you describe it makes me think I'm missing something. The way
concurrent works right now, the default version of python gets a script
with no suffix, so there's no suffix to get rid of.

Are there cases where the presence of suffixed binaries conflicts with
upstream and/or causes confusion to users, provided that binaries (or at
least symlinks to them) are also present?

-J