Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 13:11:50 -0700
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing DragonFly BSD!

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Anyone interested in working on or discussing the project is welcome!  I
>     have created a mailing list server and newsgroup forums and I am working
>     on web-accessibility to same for passive listeners.  I will be posting
>     periodic updates to freebsd-hackers as well.

I'm especially encouraged by the committment to fix the VFS subsystem
so that stackable filesystems will really work,  by the caching/locking
discussion,  and the acknowledgement that system configuration and packages
need a publish-subscribe (not Matt's words) mechanism.

Manuel Kasper's m0n0wall configuration system, XML-based, is
really cool.  You could easily extend it to signed XML for
trusted packages/components.

Crypto and ACL filesystems could finally be done in a modular,
stackable way.  Esp. if the messaging subsystem works as
advertised.

This announcement has made an otherwise dreary and mind-numbing day at
work a little better, thanks.