Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2007 17:43:22 +0100
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        Konrad Scorciapino <scorciapino@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating from reiserfs to ext3

Konrad Scorciapino wrote:
> Anybody ever tried something like that? Are there utilities that could help
> out, or dangers I need to avoid?

Hi Konrad.

I tried that once. I managed to destroy a disk and lose almost 30GB of
data. I still cry over that one. Mind you, I was using Windows, back in
the days of FAT. I knew even less than I do now.

It'd be much easier and safer to copy everything to another disk and
then erase that partition. You'd lose less hair, sleep and sanity. If
you do go ahead with this salami slice procedure, halfway through it
you'll be cursing the day you were born. You'll have to concentrate so
as not to overwrite the wrong partition. Get it wrong once and you've
lost your data or one of your OSes. It's boring, tedious and mind
numbingly dull, which increases the odds of a mistake. Really, I'd bite
the bullet and buy a nice shiny new backup HDD. I'd do it to avoid the
tedium alone.

180GB... a 200GB HDD shouldn't be that expensive, although I grant it's
been a while since I bought a HDD. Perhaps a geek friend has a spare HDD
you can borrow?

HtH,
Adam J Richardson