Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2020 20:54:26 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating BIOS

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 11:24:48 -0800, Martin Glazer wrote:
>Freedoms is the correct program. I use it. Good luck

FreeDOS probably was required to update a PC BIOS, the time when I
didn't use a PC, but a C64 or Atari ST. IOW that was a long, long time
ago. I'm not aware of any 64 bit architecture PC, that requires
more than a FAT 32 formatted device, to update the BIOS or UEFI thingy.
IIRC I even updated a decades old 32 bit machine, just by using a FAT 32
partition. That time the computer just supported PATA (IDE), no SATA
and I still used a floppy disk for some purposes. AFAIK updates on even
relatively aged machines doesn't require an operating sytsem at all, it
could be done by the BIOS and a FAT 32 partitioned device. It's just
important to read the vendor's hints. Sometimes updating from a very
old release to the latest release might brick the machine, it might
be required to upgrade from one release to another and IIRC sometimes
it could be impossible to downgrade, if an upgrade should suffer from a
regression.