Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 15:50:27 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: REQ: Help finishing off docbook conversion

On Mon, Nov 06, 2000 at 03:07:06PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> However, the way you've done it looks nice.  Thanks a stack, man!

No problem.

> Now I just need to get the docproj stuff installed on my box so that I
> can test it myself.  I wouldn't want to break the doc build without a
> decent excuse. ;-)
>
> As an aside, what is the literallayout component of a media object
> actually used for?

For producing the plain text version.  Basically, we make two HTML versions,
one that includes images (and uses the <phrase> as the alt attribute) and
one that doesn't use images, and uses ASCII art instead.

When you get the docproj stuff installed, try doing

    cd doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/vm-design/
    make article.html
    make article.txt

Then look at article.html, and admire the pretty pictures.

Then look at article.txt, and marvel at the ASCII art.