Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 1995 11:39:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.Org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: DES, crypt and eBones

> > > To summarise my proposals again (in no particular order):
> > >
> > > 1) The crypto code is a mess. I fail to see why it is broken into `secure'
> > >    and `ebones', so I would like to merge these. (With eBones remaining a
> > >    separate distribution). I would like the distributions to be called
> > >    `crypto' and `krb'.
> >
> > Sounds like renaming for the sake of renaming to me :-(.   If eBones is
> > going to remain seperate leave it called eBones!!
>
> Yuk. I expressed myself very badly here. At the moment, the source is split
> in two, `secure' and `eBones'. I want to merge these together into `crypto'
> (or whatever name - it does not matter to me) and have a more natural
> directory structure under that - sort of like the way it is done for src/gnu
> with usr.bin, usr.sbin, lib, include and so forth under that. The libraries
> in particular are too general to belong to one distribution only.
>
> As part of the distribution, ie when the tarballs get rolled, there should
> be a separating out of eBones, as not everybody will want Kerberised
> binaries, even though it makes most sense to have their source with the
> rest of the crypto stuff. At the moment we have the des.?? distribution,
> the krb.?? distribution, the ssecure.?? distribution and the ssebones.??
> distribution. My proposal is that only the source gets merged.
>
> For the benefit of the -current users, I reckon we keep the MAKE_EBONES
> option in /etc/make.conf (I want to fix that up a bit though).

I disagree.  eBones was to and does replace the 4.4BSD lite supplied
Kerberos tree.  I can use ``secure'' without eBones at all.  If you
bundle the two into one tree it is going to complicate things like
sup targets, source tree management in src/Makefile, etc.

Binary sets should match source sets, otherwise you are heading for
trouble :-(.