Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 23:29:35 PDT
From:      "Some Person" <ntvsunix@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading FreeBSD 3.3 (& IP Masquerading) = NAT

IP Masq. is just a Linux term, non-industry standard term. IP Masq. = NAT
(Network Address Translation), ie, which would be a form of circuit level
proxy'ing, but not application level proxy'ing.

NAT Works at the network layer. ie, converting internal RFC1918 based IP
addresses to public internet address, via NAT Routing.

I've ran both NAT routing in various situations, Ethernet Bridging, bridged
firewall environments, and NAT inclusion based firewall topologies. Various
ways you can go about it, but I've personally found FreeBSD and OpenBSD to
serve these purposes much better than Linux in many many ways. Just the
beauty of BSD! But, it all depends on what you want to do because bridging
might be better, or NAT routing...
Besides, not to trash Linux or anything, but if you did go Linux, which
distro would you go for? That's another hard descision, just too many for my
personal liking and becoming too commercialized in my opinion, such as RH
(barf), the next M$ of the UN*X world.

You can definatly buy from cheapbytes, but why support them? I don't believe
they give anything back to the FreeBSD. Buying from WC would atleast goes to
a good cause and helps improve, support and advocate FreeBSD in a Linux
centric world (unfortunatly). I can't really trash Linux as I've used it
before until I discovered FreeBSD/OpenBSD, now I can't see a reason I would
want to go back, or even a need to. I think more people need to hear about
FreeBSD as something that's NOT Linux. Each of course has it's advantages
and disadvanatges, Linux being the later of course.. LOL! Just kidding! ;)

Look into natd, and/or IPFilter try them out, read, research and compare