Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 08:09:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Chris Hedley <cbh-freebsd-current@groups.chrishedley.com>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

--0-962440433-1098169773=:866

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004, Eirik =D8verby wrote:
> This one is gonna be tricky on you, I think. The driver used for most Ada=
ptec=20
> RAID controllers (IDE and SCSI alike) isn't currently working on amd64 (i=
n=20
> 64-bit mode, that is). I have repeatedly asked if anyone will step up to =
the=20
> task and fix that, as I have an Adaptec Zero-Channel RAID add-on-board fo=
r my=20
> dual opteron just collecting dust at the moment, but the general answer i=
s=20
> 'no time'... Too bad.

I've found that the driver for the 2410SA (aac) works fine in 64-bit mode;=
=20
although I'm not compiling for amd64 right now, but (lack of) problems=20
with the 2410SA isn't the reason.

> Then again, I have nothing but really REALLY bad experiences with Adaptec=
 IDE=20
> RAID solutions, so perhaps you should choose differently there.. Most all=
 the=20
> others are supported, and supported well afaik.

The card seems reliable enough once it's up and running, although getting=
=20
it configured can be a major headache as the configuration software is=20
terrible and the card itself seems prone to crashing when being configured=
=20
(even using the BIOS menus).  That, and taking forever to build an array=20
(8 hours for a 400GB RAID-10 seems excessive) and terribly slow write=20
speeds (~7MB/sec for sequential writes to a RAID-10 array - something is=20
seriously wrong with its design for the performance to be _that_ bad.=20
That's the same with different OSes and on different MBs/CPUs as well, so=
=20
it's not a FreeBSD or incompatability issue) means I personally wouldn't=20
consider buying another one.  The OP is probably better off looking=20
elsewhere.  (The hot-swap box is nice, though, although it transpires=20
that's made by SuperMicro, not Adaptec).

Chris.
--0-962440433-1098169773=:866--