Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 1998 07:41:57 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>
To:        aklemm@hightek.com, andreas@klemm.gtn.com
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail virtusertable, do I need cw file as well ? Is NIS ok ?

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Does sendmail still need a sendmail.cw file, if I'm using the
> virtuser table ?

	Yes it does.

The real point of virtuser as far as I'm concerned, is to make it easy to
have, say - scot@poptart.org and scot@planet-three.com go to different
mail-drops on the same machine.  I personally have a seperat virtuser file
for each mail domain I hold, say:

virtuser-poptart:
scot@poptart.org	scot

virtuser-planet:
scot@planet-three.com	s2

and then I have a newaliases shell script that builds a large virtuser
from these smaller ones.  Just easier to manage that way.  The annoying
thing though, is that the RHS of the alias has to be a single address -
you can't specify multiple accounts as you would with /etc/aliases.

And generics is a good idea if either: 1. Your users send mail from a
shall account - sendmail maps their usernames to email address. 2. Your
users use something like Eudora, which doesn't discriminate between
POP-account and E-mailaddress... Eudora sets From lines to the
pop-account address.  Of course this won't work if they use someone else's
SMTP server.

> The point is, I'm not sure if I can safely use NIS to distribute
> the user accounts between several machines. And creating/managing
> the passwd file on several machines looks odd ...

Don't be put off by Kerberos... I was surprised how easy it really is to
set up.

Yours

Scot.

Scot Elliott (scot@poptart.org)			|    Work: +44 (0)1344 899401
PGP fingerprint: FCAE9ED3A234FEB59F8C7F9DDD112D |    Home: +44 (0)181 8961019